(February 13, 2012)

I liked this book a little better than the first. The author added three separate stories into this one and that makes the book move more quickly and becomes more interesting to me. I think the book is good. Not great. But good. Other YA fantasy books that have been recommended to me are: the Chronicles of Narnia series and Mistborn. I'm excited to read these in the future sometime when I'm ready to revisit fantasy.
The Mistborn series is actually not YA, although it is awesome. Heck, I love all Brandon Sanderson's books that I've read (although I have no interest in the Wheel of Time series, so I probably won't ever read those.) His YA series is the Alcatraz series, though. Another good one I forgot to mention before is the Fablehaven series. Another great YA fantasy that way exceeded my expectations.
ReplyDeleteI also like The Alchemyst, by Michael Scott. It's the first in another YA fantasy series, but I haven't read the rest of the series, only that one.
ReplyDeleteYou told me last night that you lost your paper with the brunch schedule on it, which is where I think you also wrote my other book suggestions. They were Pope Joan, by Donna Woolfolk Cross; and Angela's Ashes, by Frant McCourt. I have Angela's Ashes, if you want to borrow it.
The Chronicals of Narnia are some of our favorite books! Even my kids can see the connection between Christ and Asland. Awesome!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for clearing that up Mel.:) My friend suggested Mistborn after I told her I was reading the Eragon series and I just assumed...I still want to read it, but maybe later this year. Ummmm...Dave LOVES the Wheel of Time series. I made it to book 6 and could not go any further. It wasn't my favorite. But I hear you have connections with the famous Brandon Sanderson somehow... Thanks for all the book ideas. Janelle-that was the one paper I actually still have! But having the info on here is even better. I DO want to borrow Angela's Ashes. Danna, that is one series I really want to read and want my kids to read!
ReplyDelete