We started a new tradition this year. I don't remember how I first learned of this idea but I've been wanting to start it for a few years now. There is so much focus on Santa in our house right now that we definitely thought it was necessary to bring the focus back to where it belongs--on Christ.
So, I bought a little wooden manger and some straw. Every day the kids have to do acts of kindness towards other people (help sibling make bed; smile at someone who is having a hard day; write a nice letter; etc). They report to me at the end of the day about all of their Christlike services and for every kind word they give, or service they render, they get to put a clump of straw in the manger. By the time Christmas rolls around the manger should be full of straw and ready for baby Jesus to be placed in it for our family Christmas Nativity play.
Today when the kids got off of the bus, it was the first thing they wanted to tell me. They were so excited to share all of their kind deeds for the day! Then the other kids at the bus stop heard what we were talking about and wanted to know. Ashlyn and Trevor basically shared their testimony about Christ.
It was awesome.
It was awesome.

No comments:
Post a Comment