In the Faith of Christ

Monday, March 5, 2012

Book of the Week

THE GIVER
(February 20, 2012)


I know I said I wouldn't read any kid books anymore for a while, but this book caught my eye while I was at the Library. I've heard this title tossed around over the years and remembered the positive feedback I heard. I think it is heavy for a children's book. I think it is sobering. I think it is thought-provoking as an adult. I think it is interesting and I have thought about the book's themes many times since reading it.

I compared the concepts in the Giver to a measure of what Christ had to experience. You'd have to read the book to understand what I am saying, but it made a little more clear to me what Christ felt as he took on the pains of the world. (SPOILER) The giver in the book takes on every memory from every person in the world that has ever lived. Good and bad. The giver starts by sharing really great memories...sledding in the snow, a boat ride, but then reveals harder memories that involve intense emotional and physical pain...and the giver feels it all.

There are two other companion novels to The Giver that I want to read, Gathering Blue, and The Messenger.

I would love to talk to someone about this book!!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite books. I read it every 2-3 years or so. I'm due for a re-read again. I love it.

    ReplyDelete